DCSIMG

Flood scheme’s £230k boost

ANNE McIntosh has welcomed a £230,000 contribution towards Pickering’s flood 
defence scheme.

The MP for Thirsk, Malton and Filey has managed to secure the cash after petitioning the Government last week.

It now takes the total already on the table for the project’s flood storage scheme to £1.8 million – just short of the £2 million that it is expected to cost.

The Mercury understands the Government cash is conditional on the shortfall in funding being found.

Miss McIntosh told the 
Mercury on Tuesday last week that she intended to ask her Government colleagues for money to help cover the costs.

Plans for the flood storage scheme, which engineers say will protect Pickering from everything up to a one-in-25 year flood, will be submitted to North Yorkshire County Council and the North Yorkshire Moors National Park Authority’s planning committees later this month.

The funding shortage is now the main issue as to whether the storage scheme will go ahead.

Miss McIntosh MP said: “This contribution announced by the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Owen Patterson, last week in Westminster edges the scheme towards commencement.

“Ryedale District Council is contributing £950,000, North Yorkshire County Council £300,000, together with the local levy contribution of £240,000, with an estimated total cost of £1.8 million. Fifty houses should benefit from increase flood protection.”

The Mercury understands the final costs of the scheme have yet to be confirmed and will not be known for several weeks as the Slowing the Flow Project Board are waiting for tenders to be returned from local contractors.

The costs must also take into account the major, yet periodic, maintenance work that will be needed to cover the lifespan of the flood storage scheme at Newtondale, near Pickering. Pickering Town Council has already agreed to set aside £5,000 from its annual budget to cover smaller, ongoing maintenance work.

Jeremy Walker, chairman of the Slowing the Flow Partnership Board, said: “There is still work to be done in finalising both costs and the funding package and we are working hard on both these aspects. Meanwhile, we will be seeking planning permission and tenders from contractors so that we are ready to move as soon 
as we can finalise the money side. We are not quite there yet.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page