New schools needed to meet housing impact

editorial image

editorial image

New primary schools will be needed in Malton and Norton to cope with the impact from an expected 1,500 new homes lined up for the twin towns.

Pickering may also need an additional school, reveals a report published today by North Yorkshire County Council.

The authority’s Ryedale Area Committee will be told at its meeting at Helmsley that a total of 2,730 new homes are due to be built in the district between now and 2027, with officials forecasting a significant shortfall of school places in key parts of the district.

Pete Dwyer, corporate director for Children and Young People’s Service, says there is likely to be a shortfall of 284 school places in Malton and 131 in Norton.

Malton Community Primary School has some limited scope for expansion on its existing site and officers are exploring the situation with the school.

Norton CP School has recently undergone some expansion, funded by the county council and the school, but: “Further growth would not be feasible on what is a tight existing site area.”

St Mary’s Catholic Primary School is already a full school, he says and future expansion is being considered.

At Pickering, 750 homes are due to be built which will mean a shortfall of 155 pupil places – 57 for infants and 98 for junior age children.

St Joseph’s RC School is expected to have very limited surplus capacity.

An assessment is being made of the scope for expansion at Pickering’s infant and junior schools and some additional capacity could be added, said Mr Dwyer.

Kirkbymoorside’s Primary School could be expanded without having to build a new school, the committee will be told, despite some 300 new homes planned for the market town.

Helmsley CP School potentially could accommodate the majority of pupils resulting from planned 150 new homes but the situation will be “kept under review,” said Mr Dwyer.

Some of the funding for the new building plans is expected to come from contributions by the developers, but additional money would be needed from the Department of Education.




Back to the top of the page