Ryedale teen sentenced for taxi driver attack

Scales of justice

Scales of justice

A teenager has escaped jail after he attacked a taxi driver who refused to take him on a 16-mile detour without charge.

Driver Lee Cappleman agreed to take three passengers to Weaverthorpe but en-route was ordered to drive to Malton.

When he refused, Javey Mattis, 18, who had been sat in the front passenger seat, attacked him with such ferocity that Mr Cappleman had to stop his taxi in the middle of the road. Despite being pulled off the driver by his friends, Mattis attacked the driver again, leaving him with a cut to his ear which required stitching, a cut to the head, and bruising to his ribcage and sternum.

Eventually Mattis, of Limetree Avenue, Malton, was pulled away from the cab by his friends on Saturday June 25, last year.

However, Mattis had dropped his wallet in the taxi, enabling the taxi driver to identify his attacker.

Mattis, who has a record for violence and has served a custodial sentence in the past, appeared before York Crown Court on Friday for sentencing on a previously admitted charge of unlawful wounding.

Describing Mattis’s actions as a “moment of madness”, David Camidge, mitigating, said that his client was normally a good, hardworking young man. He added that Mattis’ problem was being unable to control himself after drinking.

Passing sentence Recorder Simon Myerson QC said that Mattis acted “like a 10-year-old with the punch of an 18-year-old”, but said that he agreed with reports that a “carrot and stick approach” was the best course of action.

He sentenced Mattis to 12 months in a Young Offenders Institute, suspended for 18 months.

Mattis was also placed under 18 months supervision, with a requirement to attend thinking skills programme. He was also placed under a nine month electronically monitored curfew between 9pm and 6am, said by the recorder to be designed to keep him out of public houses, and ordered to pay his victim £800 compensation.




Back to the top of the page