Snake bite near Go Ape leaves man in ‘serious’ condition

Roger Ratcliffe finally saw an adder on a trip to Skipwith Common.

Roger Ratcliffe finally saw an adder on a trip to Skipwith Common.

A man has been airlifted to hospital from Dalby Forest after a venomous snake up bit him three times.

he 44-year-old had been walking near Go Ape when he picked up the adder, which is the only poisonous snake in the country

An off-duty paramedic at the attraction was able to give immediate assistance to the victim before a rapid response and trauma team, led by a doctor, arrived at the scene, according to the Great North Air Ambulance Service.

The man, who is from Doncaster, South Yorkshire, was stabilised before he was airlifted to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough, where he was in a serious but stable condition last night.

Go Ape claim the victim hadn’t been at the attraction, but it had been given as the location for the ambulance to find him.

The adder is Britain’s only venomous snake but its bite is rarely life-threatening.

There is said to be a “thriving population” of the snake at the forest, on the outskirts of Scarborough.

The last death in the UK was in 1975 when a five-year-old boy was bitten on the ankle in the Trossachs, in Scotland. Researchers found only one death between 1950 and 1972 in England and Wales but pointed out that there were 61 deaths from bee or wasp stings in the same period.

According to NHS advice, adder bite symptoms include swelling, vomiting, nausea and dizziness and, in most cases, the only treatment required is observation in hospital. More severe bites are treated with anti-venom medication.

Children bitten by an adder will usually make a full recovery in about one to three weeks but adults usually require more than three weeks to recover fully. Some adults can take up to nine months.

About 100 adder bites are reported in the UK each year, with most between February and October.

The snake, which grows to up to about 30 inches long, is common throughout mainland Britain.

Last month, dog-owners were urged to stay vigilant after a much-loved family pet nearly died when it was bitten on the snout by an a




Back to the top of the page