Returning Roffe stars as Ryedale grab draw

Slingsby, green kit, take on Rillington Reserves   Pictures by Steve Lilly

Slingsby, green kit, take on Rillington Reserves Pictures by Steve Lilly

Have your say

LEADERS Ryedale Sports Reserves dropped their first points of the season in division two in a 1-1 draw at rivals Union Rovers 2nds.

Ryedale had to call up two old faces, Carl Roffe and Matty Allen, as there were four regulars missing, including star striker Matty Gardner who was ruled out due to illness.

Union started the better with Rich Abbey’s shot kept out superbly by Ryedale’s 16-year-old keeper Tim Wincup on eight minutes.

Ryedale striker Marc Dobson hit the post from 16 yards on 24 minutes, Jamie Fewster going close five minutes later.

After the break Union had Ryedale on the back foot from the whistle, taking the lead in the 52nd minute.

Five minutes later, defender Roffe made a great block to keep the score at 1-0.

Ryedale got going in the final quarter, and in the 70th minute a great ball by Steve Stead allowed Dobson to shoot, which the Rovers keeper saved but Alex Ibbotson followed up to make it 1-1.

The visitors should have added two more with Dobson and Ben Thompson missing the target, but overall a draw was a fair result.

Man of match went to veteran Roffe for his solid performance in defence in his first appearance of the season.

Slingsby earned a 3-0 win at Rillington Athletic Reserves, a result that keeps the victors in the promotion hunt.

Man of the match Luke Gibson, Sean Keefe and sub Declan Copeland were on target for the visitors.

Sinnington gave a good account of themselves in the Scarborough FA District Cup quarter-finals against a strong West Pier outfit and were very unlucky to lose out 2-1 to a late goal.

The Sinners bossed the first half, Scarborough League champions Pier only having shots from range, which didn’t trouble keeper Mark Langdale.

Sinnington broke the deadlock on the half-hour, Dave Wilkinson firing a cross into the box, which the Pier keeper palmed out to Stuart Wilkinson to prod home.

Pier stepped up their game in the second half, Danny Cooper was thwarted by Mark Langdale, when the shot looked like it was heading into the top corner.

On the hour mark Cooper got his reward, volleying home after a flick on from 25 yards, creeping into the bottom left corner of the goal, the same player hitting the post two minutes later.

With Sinnington looking vulnerable on the counter attack, Cooper again caused problems, wriggling through challenges in the penalty area to square to Ronnie Lamb to score on 80 minutes.

Sinnington unfortunately could not find an equaliser as Pier hung on for the win.

Man of the Match for Sinnington was Rob Atkinson.

Back to the top of the page