Sinners sink rivals to claim pole position

Have your say

SINNINGTON claimed top spot in the Beckett League division one table after beating rivals Union Rovers 2-1.

The Sinners took the lead after three minutes, Wayne Moon picking up a loose pass from a Union defender on the edge of the area, breaking into the box, and finishing coolly past the keeper.

Union were not at their best and Sinnington looked to take advantage of this, Dave and Stu Wilkinson, both headed off target. Union didn’t really threaten, a free-kick being easily saved by Mark Langdale.

The second goal was scored again by Moon, breaking down the left into the box, with time and space and slotted the ball through the onrushing keeper’s feet one on one.

In the second half, Sinnington started sluggishly and were made to pay. A free-kick was lofted to the back post, with Langdale, unsighted due to the sun, a Union player scored neatly at the back post.

Sinnington were then awarded a penalty, Dave Wilkinson brought down in the box by the keeper, the resulting penalty was blazed over by Rob Atkinson.

Atkinson had another chance to score, a Moon fizzed crossed was struck well by Atkinson, but the keeper saved well.

Union had a chance to level, hitting the crossbar from range. Sinnington held on to record the win.

Adam Stevens was man of the match for an excellent performance at centre-half.

Kirkbymoorside Reserves kept their faint hopes of retaining the title alive with an impressive 4-2 win at Duncombe Park.

Jason Brown hammered in a hat-trick for the Moorsiders, with man of the match Josh Butler netting the other goal.

Heslerton eased to a 3-0 win at Kirkdale United in a re-arranged league game.

After a bright opening by both sides an excellent Billy Bown header from Curtis Dickinson’s cross put Heslerton ahead on 10 minutes.

The young visitors managed to play well in patches but found it difficult to threaten the Heslerton goal against a bigger and stronger side. Another set-piece saw Heslerton increase their lead in the 25th minute, Dan Simpson smashing home a 25-yard shot after a corner.

Kirkdale battled hard but were unable to prevent Heslerton adding a third after 42 minutes when fine play down their left created a chance for Steve Parker, which was saved, but the rebound was forced home by Simpson.

United had a better second half and passed the ball and moved well but still found Heslerton side difficult to break down.

Ross Fliton, at centre-back, was the Heslerton man of the match, while striker Simpson and midfielder Si Oxendale also impressed.

Despite the scoreline Kirkdale had several good performances including Graham Atkinson, Ed Bell and man of the match Dean Coote.

Back to the top of the page